Faculty/Clinicians/Staff: Thomas Bander, Amy Cohn, Holley Comiskey, Emilie Dore, Milad Eshaq, Yolanda Helfrich, Elise Luddy, William Pozehl, Elizabeth Thompson, Eran Vieregge
Students: Katherine Adams, Kieran Baack, Aaron Claussen, Laura Hattar, Heather Hawkins, Daniel Huang, Malcolm Hudson, Jakob Kiel-Locey, Ryan Lentine, Renzi Li, Riley McKeown, Justin Moss, Justin Rogers, Samantha Roth, Bassel Salka, Chloe Smither, Muhammed Ugur, William Yang, Bill Zhang
Project Contact: email@example.com
Chief Residents in the Dermatology Residency Program at the University of Michigan must create monthly schedules staffing all residents. In this project, we formulated a mathematical model and created a computerized decision support tool to aid in generating each month’s schedule. Residents must be assigned into clinical activities for the morning and afternoon of every weekday and those assignments must meet resident educational requirements as well as unit coverage demands. Previously, the Chief Resident had to build these schedules by hand, a process which could take several days and would not result in an optimal schedule. Implementation of the computerized tool has allowed for schedules to be produced in significantly less time while satisfying all schedule requirements and improving schedule quality across several metrics.
Papers, Posters, & Presentations:
- “Optimizing Dermatology Resident Schedules Using a Computerized Decision Support Tool.” Undergraduate Research Symposium, Ann Arbor MI, April 2019.
- “Using Linear Programming to Create Monthly Dermatology Resident Schedules.” Healthcare Systems Improvement Conference, San Antonio TX, February 2019.
- “Dermatology Residency Scheduling Tool.” CHEPS Symposium, Ann Arbor MI, September 2018.
- “Dermatology Residency Shift Scheduling Tool.” CHEPS Symposium, Ann Arbor MI, November 2017.
- “Dermatology Residency Shift Scheduling Tool.” CHEPS Healthcare Executive Summit, Ann Arbor MI, June 2017.
- “Creating a Computerized Tool to Schedule Dermatology Residents Each Month.” IISE Annual Conference, Orlando FL, May 2018.
- “Clinic Scheduling for a Dermatology Residency Program.” Healthcare Systems Improvement Conference.” Atlanta GA, February 2018.