Faculty/Clinicians/Staff: Heather Burrows, Amy Cohn, Sarah Hartley, Michael Lukela, William Pozehl, and with thanks to the many chief residents we’ve worked with throughout this project
Students: Tarek Bsat, Daniel Cao, PK Chellappan, Ryan Chen, Aaron Cohen, Erick Dagenais, Jhawan Davis, Theodore Endresen, Neil Gollapudi, Jordan Goodman, Junhong Guo, Lea Harris, Daniel Hazlett, Trevor Hoffman, Young-Chae Hong, Daniel Huang, Emma Hyde, Nate Janes, Michael Kalmus, Shamit Kikani, Anna Learis, Brian Lemay, Kevin Li, John Li, Emily Lindblad, Brittany Lopez, Peter Mayoros, Jonathon McCormick, Ian McKenzie, Jonathan Mogannam, Paige Mollison, Justin Moss, Asher Perlmutter, Shraddha Ramesh, Samantha Roth, Roshun Sankaran, Jordan Schebil, Brendan Schultz, Justin Steuer, Luke Stumpos, Haitian Sun, Muhammed Ugur, Zac VerSchure, Ji Wang, Kristine Wang, William Yang, Nicholas Zacharek, Gabriel Zayas-Caban, Bill Zhang, Yicong Zhang
Project Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Michigan Medical School offers residency programs across many disciplines. For many, annual block schedules are manually built by the outgoing and/or incoming chief residents. It is a highly time-consuming process to ensure that schedules meet stakeholder needs, such as personnel coverage and educational needs, as well as preferences, such as resident requests and program balance. Additionally, scheduling rules frequently change from year to year, which makes it difficult to design templates that work year over year. Our team has worked with three residency programs — Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, and Combined Medicine-Pediatrics — and formulated an integer programming model to build these schedules automatically, incorporating hard rules like service coverage requirements and resident educational requirements as constraints. Preferences like resident requests and program balance are also integrated in the model as objective metrics. Using our model, we have improved the satisfaction of resident requests pertaining to vacations and curriculum, schedule balance, and more.
Papers, Posters, & Presentations:
- “Using Integer Programming to Build Block Schedules for Medical Residents.” Undergraduate Research Symposium, Ann Arbor MI, April 2019.
- “Improving Residency Annual Block Schedule Quality with Automation.” Healthcare Systems Process Improvement Conference, San Antonio TX, February 2019.
- “Improving Residency Annual Block Schedule Quality with Automation.” CHEPS Symposium, Ann Arbor MI, September 2018.
- “Annual Block Scheduling for Medical Residents.” CHEPS Symposium, Ann Arbor MI, November 2017.
- “Annual Block Scheduling for Medical Residents.” CHEPS Healthcare Executive Summit, Ann Arbor MI, June 2017.
- “Using Integer Programming to Build Block Schedules for Medical Residents.” Healthcare Systems Process Improvement Conference, Orlando FL, March 2017.
- “Using Integer Programming to Build Block Schedules for Medical Residents.” CHEPS Symposium, Ann Arbor MI, September 2016.
- “Block Scheduling for Medical Residents.” CHEPS Symposium, Ann Arbor MI, September 2015.
- “Using Optimization and Simulation to Build Better Block and Monthly Shift Schedules: Pediatric Residency Scheduling.” CHEPS Symposium, Ann Arbor MI, September 2014.
- “Effective Methods For Solving a Large-scale Resident Block Scheduling Problem With Multi-criteria Objectives.” INFORMS Annual Conference, Seattle WA, October 2019.
- “Block Scheduling for Medical Residents.” Providing Better Healthcare Through Systems Engineering Seminar Series, Ann Arbor MI, December 2017.
- “Algorithms to Generate Annual Rotation Schedules for Medical Residents.” INFORMS Annual Conference, Houston TX, October 2017.
- “Annual Block Scheduling for Residency Programs.” International Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS) Conference, Quebec City QC, July 2017.
- “Medical Residency Annual Block Scheduling.” IISE Annual Conference. Pittsburg PA, May 2017.
- “A General Model for Medical Resident Rotation Scheduling.” INFORMS Annual Conference, Nashville TN, November 2016.
- “Annual Rotation Scheduling for Medical Residents Through Optimization.” Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, Anaheim CA, May 2016.
- “Block Scheduling for a Pediatric Residency Program.” INFORMS Annual Conference, San Francisco CA, November 2014.
- “Scheduling Problems in Medical Residency.” CHEAR Seminar Series, Ann Arbor MI, December 2011.